Techniques For Rhythm Guitar Playing
JTaylor
Jun 3 2012, 11:03 PM
Apprentice Roadie
What are the techniques I need to master to be a good rhythm player? I want to build my own lesson plan for this so I have a solid path. I am currently Level 2 and some 3, so those will be the ones I start with. The more input you all give, the better, so feel free to add! Thanks! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 4 2012, 10:32 AM
Instructor
Hi Jon,

You already posted on the 'feeling rhythm' thread so you know about strumming and how important it is - I'm sure you've got that one on your list already.

At the risk of shamelessly plugging my own lessons, I also recommend getting to grips with power chords and being able to mute them in between so you can get that chopped, staccato sound that's so important to classic rock riffs from Rainbow's 'Since you've been Gone' to 'that Boston song', More than a Feeling smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Staccato-Power-Chords/

Strumming, palm muting and also arpeggiating notes all play a hand in rhythm playing. It's worth taking a look at some of Gab's Pop Punk lessons because they incorporate pretty much all of those techniques in the same song smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 4 2012, 06:16 PM
Instructor
It depends on the style that you want to play, since rock,metal or flamenco could be like different universes. As Ben said, palm muting, arpeggios and strumming would be ok. However there are lots of strumming rhythms possible, so it would be good to explore as many styles possible.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Jun 4 2012, 08:40 PM
Apprentice Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 4 2012, 01:16 PM) *
It depends on the style that you want to play, since rock,metal or flamenco could be like different universes. As Ben said, palm muting, arpeggios and strumming would be ok. However there are lots of strumming rhythms possible, so it would be good to explore as many styles possible.

aaah. I like to play mostly metal (not hard though...VH, Ratt, all the 80's stuff) and Christian (but not Christian Driever biggrin.gif .)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 5 2012, 04:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Jun 4 2012, 04:40 PM) *
aaah. I like to play mostly metal (not hard though...VH, Ratt, all the 80's stuff) and Christian (but not Christian Driever biggrin.gif .)

Ah ok, this style uses the techniques that Ben talked about. You could also collect a good quantity of songs from your favourite bands and create your own rhythm exercises using the cooler sections. I remember that I created a metal rhythm training routine for me using riffs from many songs by Fear Factory. It was very effective.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 5 2012, 08:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Jun 4 2012, 08:40 PM) *

Haha, glad you cleared that up ! wink.gif

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Jun 5 2012, 06:38 PM
Apprentice Roadie
Ben's Stacatto lesson is a must. I also am think Gabriel's Running Wild lesson contains a lot of stuff I need to know.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 5 2012, 07:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Jun 5 2012, 02:38 PM) *
Ben's Stacatto lesson is a must. I also am think Gabriel's Running Wild lesson contains a lot of stuff I need to know.

Looking forward to see those lessons at the REC! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 6 2012, 02:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Jun 3 2012, 10:03 PM) *
What are the techniques I need to master to be a good rhythm player? I want to build my own lesson plan for this so I have a solid path. I am currently Level 2 and some 3, so those will be the ones I start with. The more input you all give, the better, so feel free to add! Thanks! biggrin.gif

I have a fun lesson that will help you develop rhythm playing very fast! Check it out!
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Funk-Rhythms/
Also you can try my rhythm corner to get some exercises as well!
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=43785

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Jun 6 2012, 12:17 PM
Apprentice Roadie
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jun 5 2012, 09:37 PM) *
I have a fun lesson that will help you develop rhythm playing very fast! Check it out!
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Funk-Rhythms/
Also you can try my rhythm corner to get some exercises as well!
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=43785

Thanks Alex I'll check it out also! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 7 2012, 08:26 AM
Instructor
Aside from what the guys mentioned, it is very important to get a good grip on the rhythm theory - learning subdivisions and foremost, learning how to use your body as an internal metronome. I think this aspect is more important than any technique, because it lies at the very foundation of rhythm. Once you can groove with yourself, any rhythm based technique will be easier to understand, assimilate and use.

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jun 7 2012, 09:58 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Jun 4 2012, 09:40 PM) *

How did I miss this??? laugh.gif

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 02:37 PM