Setting Up Your Guitar - Info, Tips And Tricks
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 28 2013, 09:31 AM
Instructor
Hey guys! Since I encountered a lot of discussions revolving around setting up guitars, I thought I should start a thread with tips, tricks and info regarding the subject smile.gif

Although I don't do the setup on my guitar - I'd rather have a pro do his job and make sure that my instruments are properly set up, I like to know what's going on back there so I started looking out for info and principles related to setting up our beloved instruments.

Here's what I found:

http://www.guitarrepairbench.com/electric-...itar_setup.html

This one looks like the 'hands on approach' and it's pretty interesting to read.

http://www.guitartechcorner.com/
http://www.theguitarworkshop.ie/

These two provide services as well but there are tips and tricks there, which you might find worth reading smile.gif

Now, this thread is open for anybody wanting to post interesting info or asking a question which someone would have an answer to - this is what GMC does best, right?

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
osiris
Jan 28 2013, 10:14 AM
GMC:er
Excellent thread - more! :-)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 29 2013, 01:25 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I have no clue about setup and electronics fiddling on guitars and I feel I'm missing out a lot!
It would be awesome to know how to do a pro setup on my own....but then again, it would be awesome to know how to fix my car as well heheheh smile.gif I should definitely leave those things to the pros smile.gif

Thanks for the link - very helpful!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 29 2013, 07:11 AM
Very informative stuff! Thanks for sharing this smile.gif

Todd
date='Jan 28 2013, 03:31 AM' post='630089']
Hey guys! Since I encountered a lot of discussions revolving around setting up guitars, I thought I should start a thread with tips, tricks and info regarding the subject smile.gif

Although I don't do the setup on my guitar - I'd rather have a pro do his job and make sure that my instruments are properly set up, I like to know what's going on back there so I started looking out for info and principles related to setting up our beloved instruments.

Here's what I found:

http://www.guitarrepairbench.com/electric-...itar_setup.html

This one looks like the 'hands on approach' and it's pretty interesting to read.

http://www.guitartechcorner.com/
http://www.theguitarworkshop.ie/

These two provide services as well but there are tips and tricks there, which you might find worth reading smile.gif

Now, this thread is open for anybody wanting to post interesting info or asking a question which someone would have an answer to - this is what GMC does best, right?

Cosmin
[/quote]

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jan 29 2013, 07:33 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
Great thread Cosmin! Here are some great tips for setting up a Floyd Rose that may be helpful!

Also a great place to get parts or upgrades for all things Floyd.

http://www.fu-tone.com/catalog/

PS: Oh yeah almost forgot, make your neck faster! and much more info at the website!

http://www.frudua.com/

Cheers!

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Jan 29 2013, 07:50 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 29 2013, 09:02 AM
Instructor
Great to see you guys are enjoying this! biggrin.gif Bogdan - you are so right. The opposite attitude is what makes Romanian people think they are good at everything and they know how to repair and setup everything out there laugh.gif

+Quote Post
VikingBlues
Jan 29 2013, 09:37 AM
Good and interesting links here. smile.gif

I suspect that the higher quality a guitar a player has and the more skilled they are at playing the more likely it is that they feel more inclined to have a tech do the set up work. There's more to lose if it goes wrong!

As a lower skilled player with plenty of lower cost guitars I've found doing my own set ups to be a useful excercise and has saved a small fortune.

I've had several goes at doing self build guitars (and a bass) over the last few years. When you have to take charge of the whole assembly process you also have to be involved in setting up the guitar. The set up seems much less intimidating than the building process to be honest. More intimidating are things like the nervous tension surrounding the building work where you committ to the way the neck will join the body - is the alignment right, will the string angle to the bridge be right etc. Not to mention will the bridge be positioned right to get the saddles range OK for good intonation. Once you cut and drill there's no easy way for going back.

Much simpler all round set up for a hard tailed guitar though. I'm glad I like a Strat with the bridge screwed down to the body and don't use the whammy bar. The trem bridge is a real complication, and a pain, for the set up and intonation.

I do find that trying to describe in words to a tech how I want the set up is difficult. How do you translate the feel of a guitar you want into words? Can't even use measurement because the measurments on one guitar that works for you might not work on another - the neck shape and fretboard radius will change what action is needed for the guitar to feel right. Plus some guitars need to be played more / less aggressively than others and that needs different set ups.

--------------------
Still learning guitar - always will be learning.

My Soundclick

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jan 30 2013, 03:14 AM
I always refer to this website when I need a wiring diagram. There is a diagram for just about any option and they will even write you a custom one (for a fee) if you need something they don't already have listed.
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/...iring_diagrams/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 30 2013, 09:02 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Jan 30 2013, 02:14 AM) *
I always refer to this website when I need a wiring diagram. There is a diagram for just about any option and they will even write you a custom one (for a fee) if you need something they don't already have listed.

Wow biggrin.gif Thanks for sharing this man - I know folks in here that would kill for such a thing laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 30 2013, 06:31 PM
Thanks C-man!! It looks like you have started a thread that will put us humble Tech/Repair men out of work as everyone learns how to do it for themselves!!
tongue.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 31 2013, 09:05 AM
Instructor
Well, I'll keep being a customer tongue.gif and I know a few other guys who will undoubtedly stay as well!

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 2 2013, 08:48 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Jan 29 2013, 05:14 PM) *

Great stuff VH!, I was looking for this kind of thing not too long ago. Bookmarked! smile.gif

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Feb 2 2013, 09:23 PM
Nice post Chris... thanks! Now I won't have to aggravate Sensible.. smile.gif

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 2 2013, 10:40 PM
QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Feb 2 2013, 08:23 PM) *
Now I won't have to aggravate Sensible.. smile.gif

YAY!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

J/K!!!
Seriously, I don't mind at all!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 06:11 AM