2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Slow Phrasing Lesson
FreePizza
Apr 17 2022, 03:15 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thought I'd get a thread going here for this lesson I just did a REC on. Thanks to Monica for the great feedback. I have so much anxiety after submitting a take and this time was no different. I am not pleased with my performance but am determined to iron out the wrinkles. The wrong notes I played are embarrassing and I will fix that in my next take. I am working on the vibrato but first I need to fix my picking direction. So after reading Monica's comments this morning (11 AM here) I decided to open Guido's video lesson and slow down each part so I could clearly see which direction he picked. Sometimes this can be tricky. I opened up the Guitar Pro file for it and added the stem direction for each stroke one bar at a time. Now I will study the lesson with the proper picking.

I thought I'd attach the guitar pro file and maybe someone could have a quick look to see if things seem in order. I know it can be daunting to go through each stroke and I do not want to take up too much of anyone's time. Maybe someone else could benefit from having the stem directions in the file.

Thanks again, everyone.

Attached File  picking_slow_phrasing.gp ( 15.77K ) Number of downloads: 470

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by FreePizza: Apr 17 2022, 03:24 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 17 2022, 04:19 PM
Learning Tone Master
I'm happy to hear that you liked my feedback and you find it helpful. smile.gif Also, the fact that you have already started to work on the details is awesome. smile.gif

I know very well how scary the REC section can be, but once you will see how much your playing can be improved just by following some of our advice, you will start to become more comfortable with it. I can assure you about this, from my own experience.

Yes, usually we don't like our performance so much, because no matter how perfect it sounds, we will always have the feeling that we could have done this even better. I understand you very well. What you feel is a normal thing and it happens to all of us.

I don't know why, but I can't open your file (I have Guitar Pro 6). If you have Guitar Pro 7, can you please export the file in such a way that I will be able to open it? If it helps, Todd mentioned in another thread that should be exported in a more neutral file format like GP5.
I would love to help you and verify your picking directions. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
FreePizza
Apr 17 2022, 04:30 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Apr 17 2022, 03:19 PM) *
I don't know why, but I can't open your file (I have Guitar Pro 6). If you have Guitar Pro 7, can you please export the file in such a way that I will be able to open it? If it helps, Todd mentioned in another thread that should be exported in a more neutral file format like GP5.
I would love to help you and verify your picking directions. smile.gif

Sorry about that, here you go:

Attached File  picking_slow_phrasing.gp5.gp5 ( 6.54K ) Number of downloads: 61

This post has been edited by FreePizza: Apr 17 2022, 04:47 PM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 17 2022, 04:42 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (FreePizza @ Apr 17 2022, 03:30 PM) *
Sorry about that, here you go:

[attachment=53811:picking_...sing.gp5.gp5]

Perfect, thank you so much. smile.gif
In 30 minutes I will start to check your file (I have something to do now). It will take a little time because I usually verify each bar a few times to assure myself that it's correct. But...I will let you know when it's ready. wink.gif

+Quote Post
FreePizza
Apr 17 2022, 04:50 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Apr 17 2022, 03:42 PM) *
Perfect, thank you so much. smile.gif
In 30 minutes I will start to check your file (I have something to do now). It will take a little time because I usually verify each bar a few times to assure myself that it's correct. But...I will let you know when it's ready. wink.gif

No rush, thanks again Monica. I made one slight update because for some reason when I exported to GP5 a few of my strokes disappeared.

Here it is:

[attachment=53817:picking_...phrasing.gp5]

Attached File  picking_slow_phrasing.gp5 ( 6.55K ) Number of downloads: 69

This post has been edited by FreePizza: Apr 17 2022, 05:13 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 17 2022, 05:23 PM
Learning Rock Star
The export function between versions of Guitar Pro never works too well, as they have different functions smile.gif I personally avoid Guitar Pro 6 like the plague. Nothing I ever export and then import there sounds right laugh.gif

I will look at the rest of the post and replies a little later. Just got home smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 17 2022, 05:24 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (FreePizza @ Apr 17 2022, 03:50 PM) *
No rush, thanks again Monica. I made one slight update because for some reason when I exported to GP5 a few of my strokes disappeared.

Here it is:

[attachment=53817:picking_...phrasing.gp5]

Attached File  picking_slow_phrasing.gp5 ( 6.55K ) Number of downloads: 69

I downloaded this file but it has no sound. I tried everything and I couldn't make this play anything (the previous one worked great).
Can you please save this file (the file with your last update) one more time?

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 17 2022, 05:26 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Apr 17 2022, 06:24 PM) *
I downloaded this file but it has no sound. I tried everything and I couldn't make this play anything (the previous one worked great).
Can you please save this file (the file with your last update) one more time?

Did you turn up the volume on the track? It's set to 0. Works fine for me when I turn that to normal level.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 17 2022, 05:30 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 17 2022, 04:26 PM) *
Did you turn up the volume on the track? It's set to 0. Works fine for me when I turn that to normal level.

Hahahahahahaha.........of course not. laugh.gif laugh.gif

Now it works. smile.gif Thanks Ben. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 17 2022, 05:32 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Apr 17 2022, 06:30 PM) *
Hahahahahahaha.........of course not. laugh.gif laugh.gif

Now it works. smile.gif Thanks Ben. smile.gif

laugh.gif

It happens biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
FreePizza
Apr 17 2022, 06:05 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
A question about bar 14. Is the C note (13th fret) plucked? When I watch Guido play that part it seems he does not pick it, just hammers on, but the tab does say to pick it, right?

EDIT: I also got the second G in bar 7 backward, it is an upstroke.

This post has been edited by FreePizza: Apr 17 2022, 06:41 PM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 17 2022, 06:48 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (FreePizza @ Apr 17 2022, 05:05 PM) *
A question about bar 14. Is the C note (13th fret) plucked? When I watch Guido play that part it seems he does not pick it, just hammers on, but the tab does say to pick it, right?

Yes, you are right about the bar 14. Exactly, you need to make there a hammer on.
Sometimes it's quite impossible to transcribe all the details from a lesson in tab. That's why it's always good to learn the lesson after the main video and slow videos.

I checked your file and I fixed the issues. You made some mistakes, mostly in the final part. wink.gif
Anyway, what you do now is the most amazing thing that a student can do when learning a lesson. To take care about the picking direction will completely change your take. You will see wink.gif

One more thing, any other questions you have or if you have some problems understanding a particular detail/ornament, just tell me and I will help you. smile.gif

Attached File  picking_slow_phrasing_correct_picking.gpx ( 38.35K ) Number of downloads: 63

+Quote Post
FreePizza
Apr 17 2022, 06:52 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Apr 17 2022, 05:48 PM) *
One more thing, any other questions you have or if you have some problems understanding a particular detail/ornament, just tell me and I will help you. smile.gif

Can't thank you enough for taking the time to help with this, Monica. Much appreciation! If I have any other questions I will drop them in here. Hopefully, I get my new take uploaded over the next couple of days, need to retrain the brain lol.

This post has been edited by FreePizza: Apr 17 2022, 06:53 PM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 17 2022, 07:00 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (FreePizza @ Apr 17 2022, 05:52 PM) *
Can't thank you enough for taking the time to help with this, Monica. Much appreciation! If I have any other questions I will drop them in here. Hopefully, I get my new take uploaded over the next couple of days, need to retrain the brain lol.

You're welcome! smile.gif

Take as long as you need, don't hurry and things will turn out in an amazing way. wink.gif

+Quote Post
FreePizza
Apr 17 2022, 07:15 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Todd, that was a smoking lead you posted in the REC thread. ohmy.gif

Great examples of vibrato too, thank you !

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 17 2022, 08:09 PM
GMC:er
Well thanks smile.gif Vibrato is what makes the guitar such an expressive instrument imho. that one technique is what separates good players from great players. I hope the example helps a bit smile.gif

Looks like Monica has done a brilliant job in tweaking the guitar pro document. It's quite detailed now. When I was learning I tended to focus on the videos/audio recordings to try to help develop my ear as I went along. However, after guitar pro became more widely known and released for Mac computers I added it in as well. I do find that using both is helpful smile.gif

QUOTE (FreePizza @ Apr 17 2022, 02:15 PM) *
Todd, that was a smoking lead you posted in the REC thread. ohmy.gif

Great examples of vibrato too, thank you !

+Quote Post
FreePizza
Apr 17 2022, 10:17 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Another thing I noticed is that in certain spots, the individual videos differ from the main video performance with regards to picking direction. For example, in bar 14, during the main video, when he slides into the D note on the 12th fret and then plays the G and the A, he plays down, down, up for these three notes. However in video 5 of the lesson, he plays up, down, up. My personal preference for this lick would be down, down, up so I think I'll go with that. This is also what Monica transcribed, so I am guessing she watched the main performance also.

Also, in bars 3 and 4, when he plays the slide up to E, then, D, C and F. In the main video he plays down, up, up, up. But in lesson video 2, he plays down, down, up, up.

I don't want to seem picky (lol), just wanted to bring this to light for the sack of consistency because I know that can be important with technique.

This post has been edited by FreePizza: Apr 17 2022, 10:28 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 18 2022, 12:26 AM
Learning Rock Star
This may sound a bit backwards, but I think there's a value in learning "good picking technique" and getting the foundation right and then you can be a bit more loose later on, such as Guido maybe is in the individual videos. Ideally, yes, we should be pick it the same way we try to teach, but I think when you become more comfortable and in a way more confident in your own playing it will become less of a concern too in certain instances. I don't even know if this makes sense. I think Guido is probably just comfortable and confident doing it either way, as he has put his 10.000 hours of practice in to both of them. I think it's important to try to burn in a good habit from the start though smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 18 2022, 05:11 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (FreePizza @ Apr 17 2022, 09:17 PM) *
Another thing I noticed is that in certain spots, the individual videos differ from the main video performance with regards to picking direction. For example, in bar 14, during the main video, when he slides into the D note on the 12th fret and then plays the G and the A, he plays down, down, up for these three notes. However in video 5 of the lesson, he plays up, down, up. My personal preference for this lick would be down, down, up so I think I'll go with that. This is also what Monica transcribed, so I am guessing she watched the main performance also.

Also, in bars 3 and 4, when he plays the slide up to E, then, D, C and F. In the main video he plays down, up, up, up. But in lesson video 2, he plays down, down, up, up.

I don't want to seem picky (lol), just wanted to bring this to light for the sack of consistency because I know that can be important with technique.

Yes, you are perfectly right. smile.gif
Sometimes (not in many lessons) you can find tiny differences between slow videos and the main video.
Also, there are lessons where some ornaments which are designed for fast licks are not played or do not sound the same in slow videos.
So, when you find these kinds of "issues", keep in mind that the main video is always the best guide from any point of view.
That's why I transcribed (as you said) using the main performance. wink.gif

BTW it's great that you noticed the differences. It's always good to compare the slow videos with the main video because, in this way, you will never miss details.

You know, all this additional work about "hunting the details" can seem hard at the beginning. Also, it will take longer to finish a lesson (sometimes months of work).....but the profit resulted will be 100%. The playing will change in a very good way and you will start hearing the details from takes/lessons even when you will not search for them. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 18 2022, 04:59 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Apr 18 2022, 06:11 AM) *
You know, all this additional work about "hunting the details" can seem hard at the beginning. Also, it will take longer to finish a lesson (sometimes months of work).....but the profit resulted will be 100%. The playing will change in a very good way and you will start hearing the details from takes/lessons even when you will not search for them. wink.gif

I agree! These kind things can be tough and sometimes it feels like we're going backwards when creating good habits, cause we have to spend more time and it doesn't seem to be like we make good quick progress. 1 step back, 2 steps forward. But if you create bad habits, then you will not go as fast forward either smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 09:52 PM