Polyphia - "playing God"
Todd Simpson
May 11 2022, 05:19 AM
GMC:er
Yup, the new kids on the block are at it again smile.gif The latest effort "PLAYING GOD" is more impressive use of the guitar in way that Mr Henson does best. It's shreddy, but it's not SHRED, it's jazzy, but not jazz, it's soulful, but not soul.

It's good stuff smile.gif Whaddya think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
May 11 2022, 05:58 AM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Todd

I feel it interesting to watch the video.
However, Too technical, too calculated and the sound too synthetic.
I'm not a fan of these new guitarists.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Manu RASSE: May 11 2022, 05:58 AM

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
May 11 2022, 08:31 AM
The playing is absolutely incredible but the style is just not something I find myself wanting to listen to over and over again.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 11 2022, 04:49 PM
I hate to say it, but yeah! That's how it strikes me as well smile.gif It's not really "lead" playing as such, more like very technical sould/jazz playing. It's an interesting approach and younger players are trying hard to copy his licks and the tons of other players that popped up on youtube/instagram who copied his playing style.

QUOTE (Manu RASSE @ May 11 2022, 12:58 AM) *
Hi Todd

I feel it interesting to watch the video.
However, Too technical, too calculated and the sound too synthetic.
I'm not a fan of these new guitarists.

Technically impressive to be sure. Sort of like, Animals as Leaders, it just doesn't seem to stand up on repeated listening. Not for me anyway. Still, an entire younger generation of players adores this band and Tim. I'm just glad young folks are still playing guitar smile.gif

QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ May 11 2022, 03:31 AM) *
The playing is absolutely incredible but the style is just not something I find myself wanting to listen to over and over again.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
May 11 2022, 04:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 11 2022, 05:49 PM) *
I hate to say it, but yeah! That's how it strikes me as well smile.gif It's not really "lead" playing as such, more like very technical sould/jazz playing. It's an interesting approach and younger players are trying hard to copy his licks and the tons of other players that popped up on youtube/instagram who copied his playing style.

Technically impressive to be sure. Sort of like, Animals as Leaders, it just doesn't seem to stand up on repeated listening. Not for me anyway. Still, an entire younger generation of players adores this band and Tim. I'm just glad young folks are still playing guitar smile.gif

Yup, these trends come and go, I suppose. I'm sure people were thinking "enough of the pentatonic soloing!" about certain styles throughout the years etc. I'm glad if Polyphia and other similar artists can attract more young people into playing guitar, but I usually only get impressed shortly for one time with those instagram-style songs and videos and such. They're not something I repeatedly come back to in the same way I do with other things.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 12 2022, 01:36 AM
Very true smile.gif Next year, it will be something else, or a mashup of bits of periphery with another influence to create the latest TIKTOK guitar trend. I am glad that platforms like tikok are motivating young folks to actually pick up an instrument and actually learn to play it. That's what it comes down to in the end smile.gif

QUOTE (Storm Linnebjerg @ May 11 2022, 11:52 AM) *
Yup, these trends come and go, I suppose. I'm sure people were thinking "enough of the pentatonic soloing!" about certain styles throughout the years etc. I'm glad if Polyphia and other similar artists can attract more young people into playing guitar, but I usually only get impressed shortly for one time with those instagram-style songs and videos and such. They're not something I repeatedly come back to in the same way I do with other things.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 07:06 AM