6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Bending Workout
Gert1973
Jan 12 2023, 04:05 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi again Kris, Monica and everyone else who's watching this wink.gif

Here's a first attempt after 2 weeks practise on the bending workout lesson from Darius suggested by Monica. I can say I have already scared away every cat in the neighbourhood for sure practising this lesson!! laugh.gif

As this is a totally new skill for me to learn, it's really challenging, very hard on the fingers biggrin.gif but also very fun to do. Because my fingers (especially ring finger and pinky) need to get used to this kind of strength, it's not possible to practise this lesson for a long period. But after two weeks, I feel the progress in my fingers and I can practise this lesson a little bit longer and more in a day compared to two weeks ago.

Here's my post and underneath the video I have already made my own analysis.

My analysis:

45-48: need more practise here because this does not sound good. Caused by pinky and ring finger and unwanted rings from the B-string.
1.08: not in time to put my fingers here so B-string does not ring
1.11- 1.14: unwanted rings from G-string I think
1.16: That note on 18th fret on the G-string should be little higher
1.18: unwanted ring from strings
1.20-1.25: here's where it's clear I don't have enough strenght in my ring finger to let ring the B-string. I can make this sound very good and easy if I use my index finger. But it has to be the ring finger and that one needs to be trained...
1.32: missed the timing here
1.33-1.38: obvious how I struggle here to let the B-string ring. This part is in my opnion the worst part and needs much more attention and practise. What can I do to practise this part better?
1.44: missed the note towards the ending here.

Cheers,

Gert

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gert1973: Jan 12 2023, 04:06 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 12 2023, 05:09 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hi Gert!

Forgive me but I laughed to tears when I read your sentence "I can say I have already scared away every cat in the neighbourhood for sure practising this lesson!! " laugh.gif
We need to laugh even when we struggle with some techniques. If we choose lessons that we can already play, that would not help us to make progress.

I know it's a hard lesson, because it combines different types of bends.

I like the fact that you did your own analysis. The things that you pointed out are correct. I would like every time to hear your opinion about your own take. I was trained in the same way.
You know the saying "If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime." wink.gif

Now about the take:

1. This time I will not point out many details because we need to fix your left hand position first. This is highly important. At this moment, because of your left hand, you can't play the bends and achieve a correct pitch.

Look, when you make bends, you need to take care to always have contact with the bottom of the neck. You need a solid point for your hand to be able to control this technique.
At this moment, you try to play the bends somewhere from the air.
You need a solid point to hook the guitar neck and not let the strings push your fingers away with all your hand.

Here is a comparison between your hand and Darius' hand (same spot from lesson). Do you see how huge is the difference?
Attached Image

2. Gert, let's change your method of practice a little. Split this lesson into more parts. Please, don't practice the entire lesson. Start practicing only the first 37 seconds from lesson because there you have simple bends. Let's teach you to control these ones and only then you can go further.

Keep me updated on how things work after you correct your left hand position. Look very close at Darius' left hand.

Don't worry, soon you will be able to manage the bends. smile.gif

Keep up your awesome work!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Jan 12 2023, 05:13 PM

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Jan 15 2023, 01:54 PM
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Jan 12 2023, 05:09 PM) *
Hi Gert!

Forgive me but I laughed to tears when I read your sentence "I can say I have already scared away every cat in the neighbourhood for sure practising this lesson!! " laugh.gif
We need to laugh even when we struggle with some techniques. If we choose lessons that we can already play, that would not help us to make progress.

I know it's a hard lesson, because it combines different types of bends.

I like the fact that you did your own analysis. The things that you pointed out are correct. I would like every time to hear your opinion about your own take. I was trained in the same way.
You know the saying "If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime." wink.gif

Now about the take:

1. This time I will not point out many details because we need to fix your left hand position first. This is highly important. At this moment, because of your left hand, you can't play the bends and achieve a correct pitch.

Look, when you make bends, you need to take care to always have contact with the bottom of the neck. You need a solid point for your hand to be able to control this technique.
At this moment, you try to play the bends somewhere from the air.
You need a solid point to hook the guitar neck and not let the strings push your fingers away with all your hand.

Here is a comparison between your hand and Darius' hand (same spot from lesson). Do you see how huge is the difference?
Attached Image

2. Gert, let's change your method of practice a little. Split this lesson into more parts. Please, don't practice the entire lesson. Start practicing only the first 37 seconds from lesson because there you have simple bends. Let's teach you to control these ones and only then you can go further.

Keep me updated on how things work after you correct your left hand position. Look very close at Darius' left hand.

Don't worry, soon you will be able to manage the bends. smile.gif

Hi Monica,

Very obvious and clear I did not use the right technique. After watching a complementary youtube video on bending technique, I now understand the technique better and I think it shows in the next recording I made. As you suggested, I only did the first 44 seconds or something...

I find it already more comfortable although it still needs some fine tuning. But curious about your opninion!

Grtz,

Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 15 2023, 04:15 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Jan 15 2023, 12:54 PM) *
Hi Monica,

Very obvious and clear I did not use the right technique. After watching a complementary youtube video on bending technique, I now understand the technique better and I think it shows in the next recording I made. As you suggested, I only did the first 44 seconds or something...

I find it already more comfortable although it still needs some fine tuning. But curious about your opninion!

Grtz,

Gert

Hi Gert!

It's definitely much better. I'm happy to hear that you already feel comfort in playing. smile.gif
You are going in a good direction but your left hand still does not work perfectly. You still have moments when you tend to use your fingers to do the job and that's the moment when the bends fail. But...don't worry, soon this issue will disappear.

To be able to control this technique, you need to understand that we use the wrist to make the bending motion. The wrist gives us strength and control. The fingers are just levers.

Keep in mind that the entire technique is based on two things: a good ear and muscle memory.

Now let's analyze your take:

0:05 - that was a really nice bend. It achieves the correct pitch, and your hand acts in a good way. I like it!!!

0:12 - this bend it's almost OK. You search a little too long for the correct pitch but you reach it and this is good.

0:18 - this one doesn't achieve the correct pitch.

0:27 - the double bends. Be careful because both bends need to reach the same note (D note). Are full bends, this means that you need to go twice from C to D. But....on the first bend don't make the C note audible. When you pick the string at the same time, start to make the bend and reach the D note.
The C note is audible only when you release the bend and start the second one.
Take a close look (and listen very carefully) to how Darius executes these bends.

0:32, 0:33, 0:38, 0:40 - you are very close to the pitch (0:38 reach the correct pitch and sound beautiful smile.gif), but be careful because in these spots you start again to add more force from the fingers instead of the wrist.

For the next time, play the same part from the lesson (the first 44 seconds). Let's make you master this part in a good way before going further.
Gert, I hope you don't mind because I don't advise you to learn more from the lesson, but it's better to make tiny steps and learn things correctly. The quality is much more important than the quantity.

As a conclusion, your today's recording shows a huge improvement. It's obvious that you worked hard and I want to congrats you on this. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Jan 20 2023, 02:48 PM
Hi Monica,

I'm back... and hopefully better laugh.gif

Have been practising a lot on the technique. And I was able to record (after many takes) one with 'almost' no unwanted string noises. I think I hit all the notes correct on this one as well. But let your trained ear be the judge of that biggrin.gif

Also curious what you think about the bending technique. IS this the correct one? Or does it need some corrections?

Cheers,
Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 20 2023, 04:38 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Jan 20 2023, 01:48 PM) *
Hi Monica,

I'm back... and hopefully better laugh.gif

Have been practising a lot on the technique. And I was able to record (after many takes) one with 'almost' no unwanted string noises. I think I hit all the notes correct on this one as well. But let your trained ear be the judge of that biggrin.gif

Also curious what you think about the bending technique. IS this the correct one? Or does it need some corrections?

Cheers,
Gert

Hi Gert!

Yes...this is going in a very good direction. smile.gif

Playing without string noises is huge progress/success and you should be very proud of yourself. smile.gif

From the technique point of view, you fixed the left hand issues (for this type of bends you don't need additional left hand adjustments). Your hand has a solid contact with the bottom of the neck. Now you need a little more time to get used to this wrist movement to feel it naturally It's a normal thing.
But the fact that your hand already has much more control is a huge step further.

Now about the pitch of the bends. Sounds better than last time but you still have some problems in this area.
Please, keep in mind that now we are talking about a few cents difference. That's why you tend to hear the bends correctly. Soon you will be able to notice this kind of difference. smile.gif

As example, compare your first bend (0:04) with the bend from 0:17(which has the correct pitch). Both of them should sound identical (same notes). Listen very carefully and you will notice that the first bend sounds a little higher than it should be.

0:26 - these two bends sound wrong. From the technical point of view, this time you played correctly. You understood the movement. The issue is in pitch. Both of them should reach the same note (D).
In your take, only the second one reaches the correct pitch. The first one is played wrong.
Imagine that if you play these notes without bending, all you need to hear is D-C-D. Now the same order of notes we need to hear when you make the bends. Bend in D, release in C and then bend in D.

One more thing. When you practice bends, you can also check the pitch with a tuner. This is just an additional help until you get used to all the pitches.

You did a really great job and I'm very happy with how things work. smile.gif

BTW, you can also start learning a new part from the lesson (just a few more bars).

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Jan 20 2023, 04:55 PM

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Jan 27 2023, 04:55 PM
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Jan 20 2023, 04:38 PM) *
Hi Gert!

Yes...this is going in a very good direction. smile.gif

Playing without string noises is huge progress/success and you should be very proud of yourself. smile.gif

From the technique point of view, you fixed the left hand issues (for this type of bends you don't need additional left hand adjustments). Your hand has a solid contact with the bottom of the neck. Now you need a little more time to get used to this wrist movement to feel it naturally It's a normal thing.
But the fact that your hand already has much more control is a huge step further.

Now about the pitch of the bends. Sounds better than last time but you still have some problems in this area.
Please, keep in mind that now we are talking about a few cents difference. That's why you tend to hear the bends correctly. Soon you will be able to notice this kind of difference. smile.gif

As example, compare your first bend (0:04) with the bend from 0:17(which has the correct pitch). Both of them should sound identical (same notes). Listen very carefully and you will notice that the first bend sounds a little higher than it should be.

0:26 - these two bends sound wrong. From the technical point of view, this time you played correctly. You understood the movement. The issue is in pitch. Both of them should reach the same note (D).
In your take, only the second one reaches the correct pitch. The first one is played wrong.
Imagine that if you play these notes without bending, all you need to hear is D-C-D. Now the same order of notes we need to hear when you make the bends. Bend in D, release in C and then bend in D.

One more thing. When you practice bends, you can also check the pitch with a tuner. This is just an additional help until you get used to all the pitches.

You did a really great job and I'm very happy with how things work. smile.gif

BTW, you can also start learning a new part from the lesson (just a few more bars).

Hello again wink.gif

The past days I have worked many hours on this lesson and it was my plan to put a take into the practise room today. Yesterday and today I have done maybe 120 takes but it just wasn't good enough. A few times I played it good but then I noticed I did not use the right technique.

And today my middle finger started to hurt from the intensive workout and that means it's better to stop and retake it in a few days. The next 3 days, I have to go to work anyway (I work 12 hours a day) so I will only have 45 minutes after work to practise some things. But next week I will again try to make a new take so you can see how it goes.

Have a nice weekend!

Gert

This post has been edited by Gert1973: Jan 27 2023, 04:58 PM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 27 2023, 07:41 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Jan 27 2023, 03:55 PM) *
Hello again wink.gif

The past days I have worked many hours on this lesson and it was my plan to put a take into the practise room today. Yesterday and today I have done maybe 120 takes but it just wasn't good enough. A few times I played it good but then I noticed I did not use the right technique.

And today my middle finger started to hurt from the intensive workout and that means it's better to stop and retake it in a few days. The next 3 days, I have to go to work anyway (I work 12 hours a day) so I will only have 45 minutes after work to practise some things. But next week I will again try to make a new take so you can see how it goes.

Have a nice weekend!

Gert

Hi again Gert! smile.gif

Don't worry, it's not a problem. We all have bad days when things don't work well.
This is a hard lesson and it's normal to take you a lot of time.

The bending technique is painful at the beginning. With time you will get used. But...even when you develop strong calluses, the fingers can hurt.
Take a break for a few days to not hurt your fingers more.

I am preparing a blues composition that has in it over 100 bends (I am not kidding). Maybe how my fingers look will make you feel better. laugh.gif
Attached Image

Hope you will have some easy days at work. smile.gif

Have a great evening!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Jan 28 2023, 09:31 AM
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Jan 27 2023, 07:41 PM) *
Hi again Gert! smile.gif

Don't worry, it's not a problem. We all have bad days when things don't work well.
This is a hard lesson and it's normal to take you a lot of time.

The bending technique is painful at the beginning. With time you will get used. But...even when you develop strong calluses, the fingers can hurt.
Take a break for a few days to not hurt your fingers more.

I am preparing a blues composition that has in it over 100 bends (I am not kidding). Maybe how my fingers look will make you feel better. laugh.gif
Attached Image

Hope you will have some easy days at work. smile.gif

Have a great evening!

Oooh my God Monica!! Indeed, I already feel much better now laugh.gif Lucky for you you already found your husband because these fingers will scare men away, hahahaha!

Enjoy your weekend with some more bending?? tongue.gif Or you will allow your fingers some rest?

Oooh, something else I think of now. I just want to share a few lessons here on GMC that caught my attention when I signed up some months ago. I have listed them in my bookmarks for future reference. So maybe you can keep them in mind if you think I'm ready for these lessons (or something similar to these lessons).

AC/DC Malcolm Young lesson
Easy AC/DC lesson

The first one (Malcolm Young) is level 4 and I'm not ready for this one yet. The second one is level 2. I would love to be able to play Thunderstruck cool.gif

Next March, I plan a holiday and I of course I will take my acoustic travel guitar with me wink.gif
I want to practise this lesson during my holiday: Fingerstyle Blues lesson
I want to learn fingerstyle. Maybe not a technique used much on electric guitar? But I love the sound on acoustic. Sometimes a song sounds better played with fingerstyle then with strumming.

So now you're informed about my travel and additional guitar plans wink.gif

Have a great weekend!

Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 28 2023, 10:58 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Jan 28 2023, 08:31 AM) *
Oooh my God Monica!! Indeed, I already feel much better now laugh.gif Lucky for you you already found your husband because these fingers will scare men away, hahahaha!

Enjoy your weekend with some more bending?? tongue.gif Or you will allow your fingers some rest?

Oooh, something else I think of now. I just want to share a few lessons here on GMC that caught my attention when I signed up some months ago. I have listed them in my bookmarks for future reference. So maybe you can keep them in mind if you think I'm ready for these lessons (or something similar to these lessons).

AC/DC Malcolm Young lesson
Easy AC/DC lesson

The first one (Malcolm Young) is level 4 and I'm not ready for this one yet. The second one is level 2. I would love to be able to play Thunderstruck cool.gif

Next March, I plan a holiday and I of course I will take my acoustic travel guitar with me wink.gif
I want to practise this lesson during my holiday: Fingerstyle Blues lesson
I want to learn fingerstyle. Maybe not a technique used much on electric guitar? But I love the sound on acoustic. Sometimes a song sounds better played with fingerstyle then with strumming.

So now you're informed about my travel and additional guitar plans wink.gif

Have a great weekend!

Gert

Hahaha...see I knew that you would feel much better. laugh.gif I'm lucky because Dan (my husband) got used to it. Also, after 23 years, nothing can scare him anymore. laugh.gif

No, I don't let my fingers rest. Believe me, they are still in good shape. smile.gif

You chose very cool lessons (I already noted them). smile.gif
Of course, the first one (Malcolm Young) needs to wait a little, but we can make the second one immediately after you finish the Chord Strumming lesson. It would be awesome mostly because it has those bends at the end and you already work on this technique.

It's always a great idea to learn fingerstyle (BTW, very cool lesson). Actually, it's a technique also used on electric guitar. We have at GMC some electric fingerstyle lessons.
Also, this technique will help you when you start learning the hybrid picking technique, which is a combination between pick and fingers. It's one of my favorite techniques.

You have great plans for the next period. Awesome to hear that you take your acoustic travel guitar in holiday. In this way, you will keep your fingers in a good shape. smile.gif

Have a great weekend!

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Jan 28 2023, 10:59 AM

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Jan 31 2023, 01:35 PM
Hello,

After some rest for my fingers, here I am with a new take! Took me many hours to have a decent one. In my opninion, this take is not perfect but 'going in the right direction' if I may quote you biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I pay a lot of attention to my technique when I play but when I look at the recording, to me it does not look totally right. True or not?

Cheers,

Gert

This post has been edited by Gert1973: Jan 31 2023, 01:36 PM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 31 2023, 04:02 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Jan 31 2023, 12:35 PM) *
Hello,

After some rest for my fingers, here I am with a new take! Took me many hours to have a decent one. In my opninion, this take is not perfect but 'going in the right direction' if I may quote you biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I pay a lot of attention to my technique when I play but when I look at the recording, to me it does not look totally right. True or not?

Cheers,

Gert

Hi Gert!

Yes....it definitely sounds better. smile.gif Not all of the bends have a perfect pitch, but I can hear a really huge improvement. Most of them sound really nice. What can I say...you can't scare the cats anymore. laugh.gif
Even that double bend is much cooler now (except the first bend which has a little lower pitch). I like the fact that you caught the flavor of that bend.

Have you tuned the guitar perfectly before recording? I have the feeling that there is a tiny tune issue. I even compared this take with your previous video and I hear a tune difference when you play a straight note.

The new part 0:44 - 0:50, doesn't sound good yet, but it's a normal thing. Once you get used to it, it will sound better.

Be careful when you release the bends to let the string comeback to point zero.

About your question,...the technique doesn't look perfect but it doesn't look wrong. If there was something wrong, you would not be able to achieve a correct pitch for the bends.
Of course, there are moments when you start again to put your fingers to do the job instead of using your wrist to make the bend motion. Probably this is what you see weird. You need a little longer time to get used to this technique and then your hand will look good.
Also, if you compare your hand with Darius' hand, there will be a slightly difference because of a different hold guitar position (casual vs classical position).
Keep in mind that as long as your hand is always in contact with the bottom of the neck, nothing can go wrong because this creates a solid point for your hand. That's the key to this technique.

I really like how things go. The old part of the lesson already sounds nice. You can add for next time a little more bars. wink.gif

I know this lesson is a huge challenge and requires a lot of work and time. That's why, if someday you stop enjoying to practice this lesson, please tell me and I will give you a much easier bending lesson.

Have a great evening!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Jan 31 2023, 05:59 PM
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Jan 31 2023, 04:02 PM) *
Hi Gert!

Yes....it definitely sounds better. smile.gif Not all of the bends have a perfect pitch, but I can hear a really huge improvement. Most of them sound really nice. What can I say...you can't scare the cats anymore. laugh.gif
Even that double bend is much cooler now (except the first bend which has a little lower pitch). I like the fact that you caught the flavor of that bend.

Have you tuned the guitar perfectly before recording? I have the feeling that there is a tiny tune issue. I even compared this take with your previous video and I hear a tune difference when you play a straight note.

The new part 0:44 - 0:50, doesn't sound good yet, but it's a normal thing. Once you get used to it, it will sound better.

Be careful when you release the bends to let the string comeback to point zero.

About your question,...the technique doesn't look perfect but it doesn't look wrong. If there was something wrong, you would not be able to achieve a correct pitch for the bends.
Of course, there are moments when you start again to put your fingers to do the job instead of using your wrist to make the bend motion. Probably this is what you see weird. You need a little longer time to get used to this technique and then your hand will look good.
Also, if you compare your hand with Darius' hand, there will be a slightly difference because of a different hold guitar position (casual vs classical position).
Keep in mind that as long as your hand is always in contact with the bottom of the neck, nothing can go wrong because this creates a solid point for your hand. That's the key to this technique.

I really like how things go. The old part of the lesson already sounds nice. You can add for next time a little more bars. wink.gif

I know this lesson is a huge challenge and requires a lot of work and time. That's why, if someday you stop enjoying to practice this lesson, please tell me and I will give you a much easier bending lesson.

Have a great evening!

Hahahaha, no, I start to see some cats again in my neigbourhood laugh.gif

I always tune at the beginning and also in between when I do bending because sometimes it gets out of tune fast. But I have the feeling my strings ring a little bit different then before. Maybe it's in my head or maybe I need to bring it to a store to let it check out.

For the moment I still enjoy playing this lesson and don't need to change.

The next bars are coming up now and they pose a even more challenging part. Especially the end part I will have to look very close at how Darius performs it because as you could see in my first take, I really struggled there. Of course I did not use the right technique but now that I know the technique a little bit, I still don't know how I have to excecute it.

But I will first tackle the slightly more easy part that comes before...

Stay tuned for more... but it will certainly be something for next week as I still need a lot of practise before I will put in a next take.

+Quote Post
utak3r
Feb 2 2023, 04:37 PM
GMC:er
BTW, lubing the nut helps with fast detuning after bending (as it helps the string returning to the correct tension, not blocking on a nut).

--------------------
Machines don't bleed that easily...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Feb 10 2023, 04:48 PM
QUOTE (utak3r @ Feb 2 2023, 04:37 PM) *
BTW, lubing the nut helps with fast detuning after bending (as it helps the string returning to the correct tension, not blocking on a nut).

Hi,

Thanks for the intervention!

But I have no idea what you are talking about here biggrin.gif

Can you explain me what you are trying to say?

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 10 2023, 04:52 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Feb 10 2023, 04:48 PM) *
Hi,

Thanks for the intervention!

But I have no idea what you are talking about here biggrin.gif

Can you explain me what you are trying to say?

Thanks!

Check part 5 here:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/20-Beg...er-Tips/?part=5

Darius uses graphite to 'lube' the string slots.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Feb 10 2023, 05:13 PM
Hi Monica,

I'm back with another take on this lesson. Still need a lot of practise. But I just wanted to let you see how far (or not far tongue.gif ) I'm on this one...

My analysis:

6: pitch maybe little to high?
14: I do not go the the right note fast enough and also too high.
28: I think double bend is smooth enough
31-44: No problems here I think
45-53: I have done better ones than in this take. First bend not good, second ok and third bend a little too soon.
55-1.00: I think this is correct pitch
1.00-1.08: I'm happy that these notes sounds good without unwanted strings
1.11: B-string refuses to ring biggrin.gif
1.15: This bend did not go fast enough to the desired note
1.20: I thought this note was too high but when I listen to Darius I think it's the same.

Overall quite happy at where I am with this lesson but still much space for improvement. I'm moving on, slowly but sure...

About my technique... when I practise from my point of view, I think I use the right bending technique. But when I look at my recording I does not always look good.

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Feb 10 2023, 07:15 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Feb 10 2023, 04:13 PM) *
Hi Monica,

I'm back with another take on this lesson. Still need a lot of practise. But I just wanted to let you see how far (or not far tongue.gif ) I'm on this one...

My analysis:

6: pitch maybe little to high?
14: I do not go the the right note fast enough and also too high.
28: I think double bend is smooth enough
31-44: No problems here I think
45-53: I have done better ones than in this take. First bend not good, second ok and third bend a little too soon.
55-1.00: I think this is correct pitch
1.00-1.08: I'm happy that these notes sounds good without unwanted strings
1.11: B-string refuses to ring biggrin.gif
1.15: This bend did not go fast enough to the desired note
1.20: I thought this note was too high but when I listen to Darius I think it's the same.

Overall quite happy at where I am with this lesson but still much space for improvement. I'm moving on, slowly but sure...

About my technique... when I practie from my point of view, I think I use the right bending technique. But when I look at my recording I does not always look good.

Hi Gert!

First of all let's fix your detuning problem because I'm pretty sure that the issue comes from the process of tuning. wink.gif
When you watch the video mentioned by Kris, be careful how Darius tune his guitar.

Look, when you have these kinds of lessons with a lot of bends, the guitar requires a different kind of tuning. So, keep in mind a few things.

1. Your final move of the guitar tuning pegs should always be an up move.
2. The steps for tuning each string are:
- stretch the string, move up the tuning peg, check the tuning, if it's ok, make 1-2 huge bends, check the tuning again. If isn't ok, start again to stretch the string, check the tuning, make a few bends, check the tuning again.
Sometimes you need to do 7-8 turns of stretching, tuning, stretching, tuning to make the strings get stable. The good news is that once you do this process, retuning the strings will not need as much effort as the first time.
Do these steps until the string will stay in tune no matter how many bends you will make. Do the same thing on each string and your problems will disappear.

The process will take longer than you are probably used to, but in this way, the guitar will stay in tune. smile.gif

If you need a more detailed explanation, tell me and I will send you a video. wink.gif

Now let's analyze your recording.

You definitely make some progress, but you still have troubles in getting the correct pitch.

Some of your observations are correct. smile.gif

0:06 - no is not too high. You reach the right pitch at some point. Try not to stay too much between the notes, because this is what will give a wrong pitch kind of feeling.

0:58 - these bends don't sound good (not a perfect pitch). Also, be careful because the release of the first bend should not be audible. Don't put pressure on your fingers when you release the bend because you don't want to make the release audible. Also, this kind of "muted" release should be played very fast.
Let the first bend ring a little longer and avoid that slow release. Be very careful how Darius makes these bends. Before focusing on reaching the correct pitch, pay attention to the type of bends. How they are played, how fast the release is on each bend, etc.

1:06 - this part sounds almost good. After you make the bend, take away your ring finger from the string before playing the next note with the pinky finger. That's the key to playing that part perfectly. If you look closer at Darius' left hand, you will spot this detail.

1:11 - Yes, that note refuses to ring because you blocked her. biggrin.gif On these bends you need to apply the same strategy as at the bends from 0:58 (no audible release).

1:20- you thought that this note was too high (which isn't because that note is correct in pitch) because you played the previous bends lower than it should be.

About your bending technique. There are just tiny moments when you tend to use your fingers more instead of using your wrist, but somehow you correct this when you play the next notes. You just need more time to get used to it.

The bottom line is that you succeeded in playing half of the bends from this take quite ok (the rest of them need more work). I can see a progress and that's a good thing. smile.gif
This lesson will be a long term task, but it will make your life easier when you will play the bends from the AC/DC lesson. tongue.gif

For the next time, try to fix all the things that we both pointed out. Don't add more bars.

Have a great evening!

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Feb 10 2023, 07:42 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 10 2023, 07:46 PM
Learning Rock Star
This might be worth watching for some advice on the bending. This is something completely different, but just something I video commented on for someone else. I talk about bending a bit and how I think about it. It's a bit off-the-cuff though, so I ramble a bit.

The "pressure" I mention is not like literal forceful pressure, it's more like counter balancing the upwards pressure of the bend on the neck.

This post has been edited by Storm Linnebjerg: Feb 10 2023, 07:40 PM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 11 2023, 11:42 AM
GMC:er
MONICA: I think you should become an instructor at GMC. You clearly have the skills and mindset. Your feedback is amazing. Well done smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 11 2023, 11:43 AM

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 08:04 AM