Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxes, Modes Or Patterns
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Pio Jr.
Hey GMC,

I learned to play minor, major, pentatonic minor, pentatonic major, blues scale in boxes and patterns. I search the forum and the net for boxes or patterns for harmonic minor and the melodic minor scale. But I only found modes or 3 notes per string diagrams.

So I made my own patterns, but is it right what I do?

For example: A harmonic minor

Pattern 1: Click to view attachment
Pattern 2: Click to view attachment
Pattern 3:Click to view attachment
etc..

Thx Pio Jr.
MonkeyDAthos
QUOTE (Pio Jr. @ Dec 4 2010, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey GMC,

I learned to play minor, major, pentatonic minor, pentatonic major, blues scale in boxes and patterns. I search the forum and the net for boxes or patterns for harmonic minor and the melodic minor scale. But I only found modes or 3 notes per string diagrams.

So I made my own patterns, but is it right what I do?

For example: A harmonic minor

Pattern 1: Click to view attachment
Pattern 2: Click to view attachment
Pattern 3:Click to view attachment
etc..

Thx Pio Jr.

if everything fits and you feel comfortable playing them, i don't see anything wrong about that laugh.gif
Pio Jr.
Thx for the reply MonkeyDAthos. Just found boxes on internet who use the same notation.
del-4fr53e3
Boxes are just to help you understand the scales. They are not at all in any way meant to be barriers for what you should play or stay within when playing. As long as the notes are fine (which in this case they, of course, are), I encourage you to make up your own boxes if that is more comfortable for you! smile.gif
The reason you didnt find those as the usual ones, might be that people find the F to G# a stretch to play smile.gif
Daniel Realpe
It's a good idea to know your boxes. Then, start moving between them, and shifting between one and other by using slides,
Ivan Milenkovic
There are two basic approaches that you can apply to these scales, 3 note per string approach and CAGED approach. But, the goal is to acquire skill to handle the whole pattern equally well in all directions, no matter where you start and where you go. As daniel said, knowing boxes is good for starters and for learning the scale, but later, you should focus on connecting the boxes as much as you can, in all places possible, so you achieve a good flow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.