Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Injured Guitarists
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Kristofer Dahl
Injuries have hurt (and sometimes helped) bands throughout history. They have caused bands to get replacements which have been harmful or beneficial to the bands success. Which band do you think suffered the most and benefited greatly from an injured member?

Oh an be sure to check out today's lesson - Mate covers awesome pentatonics in the style of Doug ldrich, of the band Whitsenake who was affected by a guitar injury.
K1R
Twisted Sister's first hit "Under the Blade" was written about an operation their guitarist lived through.
Fran
When I read the topic I inmediatly thought of Tony Iommy, who injured his fretting hand but kept playing nonetheless and is one of the most famous guitarists in the world despite that accident smile.gif

So I guess this is not exactly on-topic, but I guess just wanted to praise good old Tony wink.gif Anyone can become a great guitarists if they put enough effort!

MickeM
Def Leppard, with a drummer who lost an arm in an accident they still managed to struggle on with Rick Allen by the drums.

EDIT: Ooops, he wasn't a guitarist
slash48
Django, he manages to play extraordinarily well even after the terrible fire accident. Les paul also. Dave of Megadeth was once told he could never play again but he got through it.
Fre
Django Reinhardt lost many fingers in a burning caravan. Few years later he made outstanding songs with only 2 fingers on his fretting hand.
Gitarrero
Hm...tough question!
I know that Yngwie once broke his wrist (I gues due to his other hobby...fast cars) and changed his picking technique a bit after he recovered to be able to play as fast as before.
I also thought of Tony Iommi. I think Gilby Clarke (ex-GNR) also broke his wrist in a motorcycle accident once, but managed to play again.
Then of course I have to think about James Hetfield, who burnt his arm on stage. The roadie had to play guitar for the rest of the tour. I once saw a Metallica documentary on TV and James said: " So if you are a roadie, better learn the songs cause you might end up on stage".
MonkeyDAthos

wink.gif

Bluesberry
Pantera did suffer from the greatest injury of them all. sad.gif

Alright, that wasn't really the point, I guess. Dominic Frasca is one of the great players who just trained too much (14 hours a day or so) and had to take some years off.
Mr T
QUOTE (Fran @ Dec 25 2010, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I read the topic I inmediatly thought of Tony Iommy, who injured his fretting hand but kept playing nonetheless and is one of the most famous guitarists in the world despite that accident smile.gif

So I guess this is not exactly on-topic, but I guess just wanted to praise good old Tony wink.gif Anyone can become a great guitarists if they put enough effort!

Praise Tony indeed smile.gif He even downtuned his guitar so he didn't have to press down so hard to fret the strings. That defined their sound alot and influenced so many others.
Daniel Realpe
Django Reinhart made his whole career with just two fingers on the left hand!
Ben Higgins
Well you guys have already covered lots of good suggestions here... one that springs to mind as it's current is it will interesting to see what Morbid Angel's new album will be like, as their superhuman drummer Pete Sandoval will not be on it due to having back surgery....

Daniel Realpe
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 26 2010, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well you guys have already covered lots of good suggestions here... one that springs to mind as it's current is it will interesting to see what Morbid Angel's new album will be like, as their superhuman drummer Pete Sandoval will not be on it due to having back surgery....

Do you know who would be replacing him?
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Dec 27 2010, 01:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you know who would be replacing him?

Yeah a guy called Tim Yeung (I think that's how it's spelt) smile.gif
Daniel Realpe
thanks, I'll check him
Bogdan Radovic
I think RHCP suffered a lot with the death of Hillel Slovak. But at the same time they gained a lot with John Frusciante. So it's a weird situation. With Hillel they would be much more unique and original but Frusciante brought them commercial success.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.