2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Coolest Gmc Collab Ever?, Results are in from the Dual collab!
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 7 2022, 11:52 AM
GMC Founder
Call me biased, but if this isn't a cool collab - I am not sure what is...

To remind you, we started off brainstorming November last year about a possible next collab. Some ideas were tossed around, then Cael showed us a draft idea of a 'Cowboy' song - and the rest is now (GMC!) history...!

Today I present to you the final result

STUDENT COLLAB:
(collab thread here)

Kris / Instructor collab:
(collab thread here)

You will also find both tracks in the GMC Radio.

Extra special thanks to Cael for his amazing musical skills and also for helping me out with a video edit for the track!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 7 2022, 12:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
I really enjoyed the whole process, and you all made me extremely proud and you were all amazing in the thread.

I hope we can repeat the success again!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 7 2022, 12:32 PM
Learning Rock Star
Also for everyone participating, let me know your thoughts, ideas, comments and everything of course!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 7 2022, 03:36 PM
GMC:er
I'm amazed by how cool this turned out. Both projects have a similar vibe but very different in their own way. All of the solos in both are interesting and don't step on the song at all. Also, the vocals on both are really cool. It's hard to pick a fave as they are both just really good.

Super job by Kris and Cael on leading the way to this final result. It was a very cool idea to start with about splitting them up and it turned out great!

Also, both videos look very cool. This very well may be our coolest ever. Congrats!

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Feb 7 2022, 04:37 PM
Learning Tone Master
Wow...both songs sound amazing!!! Are different, but I would not be able to choose a winner.

Ben, your collab sound very melodic and I love this. You did an amazing job and all the takes sounds really awesome!!! Also, the video looks really great. smile.gif
Huge congrats to all of you!!! These definitely are the best takes from the latest collabs. smile.gif

Kris, your collab sounds very emotional. I love everything from it but there are two things that touched my heart:
1. The solo made by Ken (4:03) sounds magnificent!!! It's so beautiful and so good played. It's absolutely perfect.

2. Kris, I don't know if you realize, but your voice sounds so damn cool when you say: "I'm on my way, home again. I'm coming back again... mama!!". The way you sang this part (in a grunge vocal style) made these words so powerful that I had tears in my eyes. It was a perfect ending for this beautiful song!!! wub.gif
BTW, if you will compose a song and use this type of voice, I'm sure it will be a hit. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 7 2022, 04:46 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 7 2022, 04:36 PM) *
I'm amazed by how cool this turned out. Both projects have a similar vibe but very different in their own way. All of the solos in both are interesting and don't step on the song at all. Also, the vocals on both are really cool. It's hard to pick a fave as they are both just really good.

Super job by Kris and Cael on leading the way to this final result. It was a very cool idea to start with about splitting them up and it turned out great!

Also, both videos look very cool. This very well may be our coolest ever. Congrats!

No need to pick a fave at all. They are both really great!

I really enjoyed leading the one I did and I got a LOT out of it as well!

The videos are both created with stock video footage from Pexels. I re-used some of the clips in both videos of course, as it was difficult to find new ones for both. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Feb 7 2022, 05:37 PM) *
Wow...both songs sound amazing!!! Are different, but I would not be able to choose a winner.

Ben, your collab sound very melodic and I love this. You did an amazing job and all the takes sounds really awesome!!! Also, the video looks really great. smile.gif
Huge congrats to all of you!!! These definitely are the best takes from the latest collabs. smile.gif

Kris, your collab sounds very emotional. I love everything from it but there are two things that touched my heart:
1. The solo made by Ken (4:03) sounds magnificent!!! It's so beautiful and so good played. It's absolutely perfect.

2. Kris, I don't know if you realize, but your voice sounds so damn cool when you say: "I'm on my way, home again. I'm coming back again... mama!!". The way you sang this part (in a grunge vocal style) made these words so powerful that I had tears in my eyes. It was a perfect ending for this beautiful song!!! wub.gif
BTW, if you will compose a song and use this type of voice, I'm sure it will be a hit. wink.gif

No need to pick one, cause we have both cool.gif

Kris has a really cool voice and is a really good singer! smile.gif He should definitely use it more!

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 7 2022, 08:45 PM
GMC:er
Yes. Very cool indeed.
I like how Ben's thread really documented his collab every step of the way.

Ours (Kris's) probably should have been documented a little better. I personally am really bad at that. Mostly because 1) I don't have a decent camera set up 2) I'm not that motivated to do it and 3) I have almost no idea what I'm going to do until I actually "do it" and at that point, documenting it is the farthest thing from my mind.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 7 2022, 09:07 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Brilliant!! Both are brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great job everyone and thank you to you all, especially, from me to Ben for your help, I deliberately didn't look at the Kris thread, I wanted to keep it as a surprise.

Ben, I thought the video footage you picked for my solo was perfect and I loved the way you panned the guitar cool.gif

Thank you to everyone involved, this is what makes GMC so special biggrin.gif cool.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 7 2022, 09:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 7 2022, 10:07 PM) *
Brilliant!! Both are brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great job everyone and thank you to you all, especially, from me to Ben for your help, I deliberately didn't look at the Kris thread, I wanted to keep it as a surprise.

Ben, I thought the video footage you picked for my solo was perfect and I loved the way you panned the guitar cool.gif

Thank you to everyone involved, this is what makes GMC so special biggrin.gif cool.gif

I'm glad you noticed how it was panning from side to side. It added a little nice twist to it, in my opinion! cool.gif Awesome playing, Phil!

GMC is special, indeed!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 7 2022, 09:13 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 7 2022, 08:11 PM) *
I'm glad you noticed how it was panning from side to side. It added a little nice twist to it, in my opinion! cool.gif Awesome playing, Phil!

And just at the right speed wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 7 2022, 09:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 7 2022, 09:45 PM) *
Yes. Very cool indeed.

Ours (Kris's) probably should have been documented a little better. I personally am really bad at that. Mostly because 1) I don't have a decent camera set up 2) I'm not that motivated to do it and 3) I have almost no idea what I'm going to do until I actually "do it" and at that point, documenting it is the farthest thing from my mind.

I felt documenting it that way and doing a bit "back and forth" communication with everyone was a good way of doing it smile.gif I'm glad you liked it!

I think documenting things like this come a bit natural to me, as when I write or work on songs it's usually very much documented beforehand in Guitar Pro or done simultaneously if I come up with something new. My memory can be a bit wonky, so I've found the best workaround on that has been to write ideas down rather than think "I'll remember that tomorrow!" cool.gif I also work quite fast in Guitar Pro these days, so that helps a bit.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 7 2022, 10:13 PM) *
And just at the right speed wink.gif

I did do it manually in Reaper with some automation, so I just placed some dots (the pan left and the pan right) at the end of every 2 bars if I recall correctly - or maybe every fourth bar. It's a neat little trick to add just a slight touch of ambience to something atmospheric like what you played. I'm honestly not sure if it's something a lot of people do, but I liked it at that part. Not something to overuse of though, I'd say.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 7 2022, 09:23 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 7 2022, 08:19 PM) *
I did do it manually in Reaper with some automation, so I just placed some dots (the pan left and the pan right) at the end of every 2 bars if I recall correctly - or maybe every fourth bar. It's a neat little trick to add just a slight touch of ambience to something atmospheric like what you played. I'm honestly not sure if it's something a lot of people do, but I liked it at that part. Not something to overuse of though, I'd say.

Attached Image

I've used automation a little bit but I've just had an idea to keep in mind for the future. I wonder what it would sound like with the main guitar central then a second guitar (same track with different effects) panning slightly at lower volume behind it.

Might sound terrible but it came into my head when I was reading your reply wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 7 2022, 09:33 PM
GMC Founder
Awesome you guys like it 😍

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Feb 7 2022, 04:37 PM) *

Thanks Monica 🙏 I'm also fan of that ending, it's kinda dark but still somehow touching in a positive way.

In general I am fan of writing and listening to dark music - I do realise it is not everyone's cup of tea though.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 7 2022, 08:45 PM) *
Yes. Very cool indeed.

Agreed - we could have done much better here!

I also think it's a thing to be practiced: the more comfortable we get writing / recording stuff together, the easier it gets to post feedback / suggestions etc in the open.

About videoing my takes - it's not realistic for my singing (yet!). I am just too crappy at it and I need 1000 takes before I catch the right vibe.

But it could perhaps have been done with some guitar stuff or screen captures from the mixing work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 7 2022, 09:47 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 7 2022, 10:33 PM) *
About videoing my takes - it's not realistic for my singing (yet!). I am just too crappy at it and I need 1000 takes before I catch the right vibe.

You're like me then! I must have 500 files for the vocal takes. laugh.gif I'm really not a singer, or at least not trained at it, but I'd love to find the motivation to work on that, but it's just not a priority. I think we might be kinda the same there? I practice a bit if I record vocals if I write a song with some lyrics, otherwise I don't practice it.

Funny story that I told in another thread too, but at some point I started crying while singing the lyrics: "So many friends have come and gone over the years, left stories to tell that will bring you right to tears, they lost it all, they were brought right to their knees", and it changed my voice completely and kind of hit a "vibe" that I liked, so I had to re-do everything I had done up untill then. Then my voice started going back to normal and I couldn't find that tone again laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Feb 7 2022, 09:48 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 7 2022, 09:55 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 7 2022, 09:47 PM) *
You're like me then! I must have 500 files for the vocal takes. laugh.gif I'm really not a singer, or at least not trained at it, but I'd love to find the motivation to work on that, but it's just not a priority. I think we might be kinda the same there? I practice a bit if I record vocals if I write a song with some lyrics, otherwise I don't practice it.

Yes same here. I have gotten a little more strategic recently and occasionally sing a bit with the acoustic guitar. But it's not very regular.

Also I am actively refraining from humming in falsetto voice, and instead try to use my natural range. The falsetto thing is a bad habit from humming to pop song with female singers who have a totally different range.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 7 2022, 09:47 PM) *
Funny story that I told in another thread too, but at some point I started crying while singing the lyrics: "So many friends have come and gone over the years, left stories to tell that will bring you right to tears, they lost it all, they were brought right to their knees", and it changed my voice completely and kind of hit a "vibe" that I liked, so I had to re-do everything I had done up untill then. Then my voice started going back to normal and I couldn't find that tone again laugh.gif

Hehe yes, I have done similar as well. Sometimes when working on a song I have managed to record one sentence with a fantastic voice (ie like Dio) - just to find myself completely unable to reproduce it even once. You can imagine the frustration! I had no idea what I did - and even though I don't deserve getting a Dio's voice just like that, it would still be amazingly helpful to understand what I did right for that specific take.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 7 2022, 10:16 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 7 2022, 10:55 PM) *
Yes same here. I have gotten a little more strategic recently and occasionally sing a bit with the acoustic guitar. But it's not very regular.

Also I am actively refraining from humming in falsetto voice, and instead try to use my natural range. The falsetto thing is a bad habit from humming to pop song with female singers who have a totally different range.

My falsetto is more or less pointless. Well, that's a lie, but I can go to about a G4 in my normal range, sometimes G#4 or a push to A4, but I'm not sure what I'm doing there. My falsetto is at best a C5, so about 4 notes higher than my regular voice... A, Bb, B and C. Tried just now, but actually really struggling with the B and C notes, but I'm not warm either. I can go down to about a C4 in falsetto though, interestingly.

I can also go into the low bass-register, down to about 2 octaves below middle C plus a note lower or so according to an app, but that was uncomfortable for sure - and so is anything around that C! I do feel most comfortable singing in baritone register. But then again, I don't know what I'm doing, so I probably don't even know what "comfortable" is supposed to feel like.

Hehe yes, I have done similar as well. Sometimes when working on a song I have managed to record one sentence with a fantastic voice (ie like Dio) - just to find myself completely unable to reproduce it even once. You can imagine the frustration! I had no idea what I did - and even though I don't deserve getting a Dio's voice just like that, it would still be amazingly helpful to understand what I did right for that specific take.

Yes, I get the same! Especially when growling. Some times it's spot on and no pain, then next time I come back it's coughing and pain and I have to stop right away laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Feb 8 2022, 12:16 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Wow, this turned out awesome. Thanks again Cael for taking the lead and making this a special collab. Also forgot to mention before, like how you made subtle changes to the drum arrangements with MisterM solo, I think it made for a more dynamic and emotional solo.

I just listened to both collabs side by side. I didn't follow the Instructor version until the end. It is a super creative song you guys put together. Really digging it! It feels cinematic at times (especially the main theme)... can imagine it being used in a movie.
The effect on Kris's solo was super cool with the wild bends and whammy. Both solos were excellent. Great job everybody!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 8 2022, 08:48 AM
Learning Rock Star
Yeah, I sprinkled his solo with a few small hits to change the dynamics. I was at one point trying to spice up the drums throughout the track, but I kept feeling like whatever I did was too much, even just adding a kick hit here or there, so I decided to just stay with the relatively simple.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 8 2022, 01:34 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Feb 8 2022, 12:16 AM) *
Wow, this turned out awesome. Thanks again Cael for taking the lead and making this a special collab. Also forgot to mention before, like how you made subtle changes to the drum arrangements with MisterM solo, I think it made for a more dynamic and emotional solo.

I just listened to both collabs side by side. I didn't follow the Instructor version until the end. It is a super creative song you guys put together. Really digging it! It feels cinematic at times (especially the main theme)... can imagine it being used in a movie.
The effect on Kris's solo was super cool with the wild bends and whammy. Both solos were excellent. Great job everybody!

Thanks DeGroot - your contributions to our collabs are always extremely thoughtful and tasty - and your presence always puts a smile on my face (and raises expectations quite a bit 😎 😅 )

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 8 2022, 02:32 PM
Instructor
Yeah!! It is very interesting to listen to the two songs one after the other. Both share the same melancholy but at the same time they propose different things. These types of activities make the GMC community great. Great job folks!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 02:08 PM