3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Easy Ac/dc
Gert1973
Feb 17 2023, 05:21 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi Monica and GMC,

Here's my first take on a new lesson. A lesson I alrrady enjoyed very much biggrin.gif

I have only played the part with the chords, not the last part with the bending.

My analysis:

19: let this chord ring little too long
32: This chord should be little longer

Curious on your feedback as always wink.gif

Cheers,

Gert

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Feb 17 2023, 06:39 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Feb 17 2023, 04:21 PM) *
Hi Monica and GMC,

Here's my first take on a new lesson. A lesson I alrrady enjoyed very much biggrin.gif

I have only played the part with the chords, not the last part with the bending.

My analysis:

19: let this chord ring little too long
32: This chord should be little longer

Curious on your feedback as always wink.gif

Cheers,

Gert

Hi Gert!

First of all, I want to highlight a few things that you should focus on, in order to get 100% profit from this lesson.

From the chord progression point of view, this is an easy lesson. The hard part comes from the fact that you need very strong strumming (and wider), a good muting on your left hand and a very rock attitude.
Through your journey, we will work on this (rock attitude). Anyway, as a start, you can try when you play the chords to also beat the rhythm with your foot. I see that you started doing this in some spots. That's awesome! smile.gif But...try to do this during the whole chords section. It will have a different impact on the viewers, your playing will look more relaxed and also will help you to keep a perfect timing.

Another important thing in this lesson is the guitar tone. You need to use very less amount of gain. The rest of the gain that you hear in sound, comes only from a very hard playing. If you remember, I mentioned in your strumming lesson about the "tone from the hand". A proper hand mechanism and strength will give you that gain from the hand that I am always talking about.
Also, if you train yourself to mute with your left fingers the strings that you don't want to hear, you can hit more strings and all the muted strings will add a particular percussive flavor. This is something that Darius learned me to do and brings only advantages (an overall very cool sound, and extra amount of attack to the tone, more power and energy, no unwanted string noises, etc).
Everything I pointed out above is required in rock playing if you want to have a great result.

Now let's analyze your take: smile.gif

You are going in a good direction and I can see the joy when you play this lesson.
Of course, there are a few things that need more work. I will not point out the smallest details because we need first to fix the essential ones. wink.gif

1. The tone is not so good. You have too much amount of gain. You need to cut a little from it, mostly because you use a different type of distortion. The combination between the type of distortion that you use and the amount of gain added makes things sound blurry. So the first step is to cut a little from the gain.

2. Be careful of the timing. In the first part, you tend to hurry.

3. You need to be careful of unwanted noises. We don't need to hear any sound when we have those pauses between chords. We need a huge silence on these spots.
Keep your right hand on the strings and take this away only when you start striking the next chord. At this moment, your right hand touches the string when the pause comes but immediately you release the pressure from it and, because of that, you break the silence.

4. There are moments when I can hear some strings that should not ring. I noticed that you started to use your thumb to mute the first string and that's awesome. But you need a little more practice to make this work perfectly (don't add pressure on the string).
Also, try to use your index finger from the left hand to mute the strings. If you remember, in the strumming lesson you had some barre chords with muted notes ("x"). You can try to steal from there the position of the index finger and use it in this lesson to mute the strings.

For a first approach to this lesson, your take sounds nice. If you apply the things that I pointed out above, I'm sure the next take will be more awesome. Great work for today! smile.gif

Have a great evening!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Feb 17 2023, 06:46 PM

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Feb 23 2023, 04:35 PM
Hi again laugh.gif

I have worked on this lesson and of course have tried to fix the problems you mentioned.

When I start a new lesson, I don't take too much time to search for the sound that is almost the same as the lesson. For me at this stage it's overwhelming and I have not much expience and knowledge about all these choises and buttons and sorts of things... biggrin.gif I just select a sound I like and go for it. But you were right, it was a little bit too much gain and distortion.

But I'm sure it will grow on me in time.

So I have spend some time finding a better sounds for this lesson as you hopefully will hear (but I'm pretty sure laugh.gif )

As you will notice, I started my rock attitude and use my foot for rythm. It's not something I find difficult to do. So that's a good thing. But I think it will affect my playing a little bit as my guitar moves while I'm using my foot because my guitar rests on my left leg. But with some practise it will become better I think.

At some points there are still some strings that should not ring.
I have paid attention to the silent parts and I mute where I need to mute, I think.

Let me hear what you think...

This post has been edited by Gert1973: Feb 23 2023, 04:37 PM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Feb 23 2023, 07:32 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Feb 23 2023, 03:35 PM) *
Hi again laugh.gif

I have worked on this lesson and of course have tried to fix the problems you mentioned.

When I start a new lesson, I don't take too much time to search for the sound that is almost the same as the lesson. For me at this stage it's overwhelming and I have not much expience and knowledge about all these choises and buttons and sorts of things... biggrin.gif I just select a sound I like and go for it. But you were right, it was a little bit too much gain and distortion.

But I'm sure it will grow on me in time.

So I have spend some time finding a better sounds for this lesson as you hopefully will hear (but I'm pretty sure laugh.gif )

As you will notice, I started my rock attitude and use my foot for rythm. It's not something I find difficult to do. So that's a good thing. But I think it will affect my playing a little bit as my guitar moves while I'm using my foot because my guitar rests on my left leg. But with some practise it will become better I think.

At some points there are still some strings that should not ring.
I have paid attention to the silent parts and I mute where I need to mute, I think.

Let me hear what you think...

Hi again Gert!

Yes, now you rock!!! Congrats, that's the attitude that we want!!! smile.gif

Forgive me, but reading what you wrote about beating the rhythm with your foot made me laugh. You know, you have two legs and you can always choose for this purpose the one that not hold the guitar. laugh.gif
The good thing about what you did is the fact that using your left leg to beat the rhythm gives you an "on the stage" kind of feeling. You know, the charm of live performance is the fact that you always move with the guitar. Of course, you can stay in a place and just play, but sometimes you want to have fun. You don't always want to feel on stage like being in a studio. That's another thing that I learned from Darius. wink.gif
So, that's why we learn and practice to get maximum control over each technique. If you want to jump, to be able to do it without affecting your performance. Each new thing that we add to your practice has a very well thought purpose.
BTW, I also beat the rhythm with the foot that holds my guitar. biggrin.gif

About the tone. It's definitely better than the previous one. The amount of gain is OK. Try to make the tone sound less harsh.
Don't worry, each week we will adjust your tone until we find the best one. We will do this step by step.
Look, it is very important when we start doing a new lesson to find first the perfect tone for it. We do this because we want to eliminate the external factor that can not make you able to achieve some technical playing skills. A wrong type of tone will make you unable to manage some details, no matter how well I make the explanations. You will struggle to get there but the tone will not let you.
Gert, don't stress too much with the tone. We will make just tiny adjustments each week. Soon you will get used. wink.gif

Now, let's analyze your take:

I have good words about it. I like the fact that your playing is tighter now. That's an awesome thing and we are going in a good direction.

I noticed that you fixed the pauses issue. I can hear the silence...if this makes sense to you. biggrin.gif

The timing is not perfect, there are some moments when you still hurry.

From the muting point of view, you made huge steps. It's obvious that you worked hard, but it is worth it. Besides a few spots, I have no complaints.

For next time, you can raise the tempo for this part or you can keep the same tempo and start learning the final part (the bends). It's up to you.

Congrats on your hard work! That was a really nice take and with a killer attitude! smile.gif

Have a great evening!

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Feb 23 2023, 07:35 PM

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Feb 24 2023, 01:00 PM
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Feb 23 2023, 07:32 PM) *
Hi again Gert!

Yes, now you rock!!! Congrats, that's the attitude that we want!!! smile.gif

Forgive me, but reading what you wrote about beating the rhythm with your foot made me laugh. You know, you have two legs and you can always choose for this purpose the one that not hold the guitar. laugh.gif
The good thing about what you did is the fact that using your left leg to beat the rhythm gives you an "on the stage" kind of feeling. You know, the charm of live performance is the fact that you always move with the guitar. Of course, you can stay in a place and just play, but sometimes you want to have fun. You don't always want to feel on stage like being in a studio. That's another thing that I learned from Darius. wink.gif
So, that's why we learn and practice to get maximum control over each technique. If you want to jump, to be able to do it without affecting your performance. Each new thing that we add to your practice has a very well thought purpose.
BTW, I also beat the rhythm with the foot that holds my guitar. biggrin.gif

About the tone. It's definitely better than the previous one. The amount of gain is OK. Try to make the tone sound less harsh.
Don't worry, each week we will adjust your tone until we find the best one. We will do this step by step.
Look, it is very important when we start doing a new lesson to find first the perfect tone for it. We do this because we want to eliminate the external factor that can not make you able to achieve some technical playing skills. A wrong type of tone will make you unable to manage some details, no matter how well I make the explanations. You will struggle to get there but the tone will not let you.
Gert, don't stress too much with the tone. We will make just tiny adjustments each week. Soon you will get used. wink.gif

Now, let's analyze your take:

I have good words about it. I like the fact that your playing is tighter now. That's an awesome thing and we are going in a good direction.

I noticed that you fixed the pauses issue. I can hear the silence...if this makes sense to you. biggrin.gif

The timing is not perfect, there are some moments when you still hurry.

From the muting point of view, you made huge steps. It's obvious that you worked hard, but it is worth it. Besides a few spots, I have no complaints.

For next time, you can raise the tempo for this part or you can keep the same tempo and start learning the final part (the bends). It's up to you.

Congrats on your hard work! That was a really nice take and with a killer attitude! smile.gif

Have a great evening!

Hello again,

Another thing to explain laugh.gif

My guitar rests between my legs and are touching both legs. I started with doing the rhythm and use my right foot, but it's the same effect as with my left foot... my guitar goes up and down because it touches both legs laugh.gif

But after some takes, I have the feeling it's little less when I use my left foot. So I think I will stick with that one laugh.gif

Again here same choice as the bending lesson, I will start learning the bends and stay on the same tempo.

I'm going to try to look for a way I can connect my Katana speaker to logic pro. If this is possible, I can just install the sound of AC/DC on the Katana and then I will have a sound that will come close and will make it more easy!

This post has been edited by Gert1973: Feb 24 2023, 01:01 PM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Feb 24 2023, 02:52 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Feb 24 2023, 12:00 PM) *
Hello again,

Another thing to explain laugh.gif

My guitar rests between my legs and are touching both legs. I started with doing the rhythm and use my right foot, but it's the same effect as with my left foot... my guitar goes up and down because it touches both legs laugh.gif

But after some takes, I have the feeling it's little less when I use my left foot. So I think I will stick with that one laugh.gif

Again here same choice as the bending lesson, I will start learning the bends and stay on the same tempo.

I'm going to try to look for a way I can connect my Katana speaker to logic pro. If this is possible, I can just install the sound of AC/DC on the Katana and then I will have a sound that will come close and will make it more easy!

Hi Gert!

It seems that your guitar will bounce no matter what leg you use. laugh.gif Then all you have left is to rock. wink.gif

Have a great practice time!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Mar 7 2023, 03:33 PM
Hi Monica,

I'm back after a period of silence (and practise) with some new noise biggrin.gif

I first did a take of the whole lesson. But I was not entirely happy with the finish. So I did a take of the end part with the bends.

Here's the part from the end with only the bends:

... and this is the entire lesson...

I don't see or hear any mistakes except the fact that I should bounce my foot a little less because it looks rediculous like this laugh.gif

It looks like I'm on a bumpy road biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Gert1973: Mar 7 2023, 03:34 PM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Mar 7 2023, 05:11 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Mar 7 2023, 02:33 PM) *
Hi Monica,

I'm back after a period of silence (and practise) with some new noise biggrin.gif

I first did a take of the whole lesson. But I was not entirely happy with the finish. So I did a take of the end part with the bends.

Here's the part from the end with only the bends:

... and this is the entire lesson...

I don't see or hear any mistakes except the fact that I should bounce my foot a little less because it looks rediculous like this laugh.gif

It looks like I'm on a bumpy road biggrin.gif

Hi Gert!

Both videos contain only the part with the bends. I didn't see the video for the entire lesson. Maybe I understood wrong but you wrote "... and this is the entire lesson..." biggrin.gif

Let's go into the details.

First of all, the ending section sounds better than I expected (even if the bends pitch it doesn't sound great). Definitely require more work to manage these bends, but you are on a good track. smile.gif

At this moment, you tend to lose the correct pitch. You start ok but because of many factors, things go down.
To manage these types of bends (unison bends), you need first to understand the mechanism. Also, the unison bends require some finger strength.
The trick is to use the same pivoting action as you use for normal bends. But this time you will use your index finger as a part of a pivot itself.
Be very careful and keep your tip of your index finger on the string without bending the string. You start the bends in a good way, but the more you play, your index finger begins to pick up the string which is wrong.

Also, when you make those releases from the bends, you need to be very precise in your movements. Control your fingers (the middle and ring finger), and if you go down in release with half of the tone (1 semitone), then, all your releases should sound down with half of the tone. Not more, not less.

Please take a look at this lesson in video number 7. Ben explained the unison bends. Also, on video number 4 you will see the explanation for the vibrato.
We also need to work on your vibrato. I saw that you tried to do this at 0:07 but it doesn't sound good. Apply what Ben explained in the lesson.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bendin...de-Easy/?part=7

When you make the first bend (0:06) you should apply a raking. If you look close at Adrian, you will see that he hit the first 3 strings before it goes in bend. It's a very easy technique and you already know how to play muted notes.
Here you will find the explanation for the raking made by Kris:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/search/raking/

That's all about your today's take. Great work for today. smile.gif Don't worry, it's hard at the beginning but soon you will be able to manage these unison bends. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Mar 7 2023, 05:52 PM
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Mar 7 2023, 05:11 PM) *
Hi Gert!

Both videos contain only the part with the bends. I didn't see the video for the entire lesson. Maybe I understood wrong but you wrote "... and this is the entire lesson..." biggrin.gif

Let's go into the details.

First of all, the ending section sounds better than I expected (even if the bends pitch it doesn't sound great). Definitely require more work to manage these bends, but you are on a good track. smile.gif

At this moment, you tend to lose the correct pitch. You start ok but because of many factors, things go down.
To manage these types of bends (unison bends), you need first to understand the mechanism. Also, the unison bends require some finger strength.
The trick is to use the same pivoting action as you use for normal bends. But this time you will use your index finger as a part of a pivot itself.
Be very careful and keep your tip of your index finger on the string without bending the string. You start the bends in a good way, but the more you play, your index finger begins to pick up the string which is wrong.

Also, when you make those releases from the bends, you need to be very precise in your movements. Control your fingers (the middle and ring finger), and if you go down in release with half of the tone (1 semitone), then, all your releases should sound down with half of the tone. Not more, not less.

Please take a look at this lesson in video number 7. Ben explained the unison bends. Also, on video number 4 you will see the explanation for the vibrato.
We also need to work on your vibrato. I saw that you tried to do this at 0:07 but it doesn't sound good. Apply what Ben explained in the lesson.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bendin...de-Easy/?part=7

When you make the first bend (0:06) you should apply a raking. If you look close at Adrian, you will see that he hit the first 3 strings before it goes in bend. It's a very easy technique and you already know how to play muted notes.
Here you will find the explanation for the raking made by Kris:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/search/raking/

That's all about your today's take. Great work for today. smile.gif Don't worry, it's hard at the beginning but soon you will be able to manage these unison bends. smile.gif

Hi Monica,

I don't know what happened here with the full lesson biggrin.gif I did the entire lesson and recorded it, mixed it in Logic pro and saved it. But somewhere on the line... something went wrong biggrin.gif
Anyway... I'm happy you did not see my bumpy road with my left foot going up and down with the beat tongue.gif

Tomorrow, I will look at everything you point out and start practising it...

This post has been edited by Gert1973: Mar 7 2023, 05:53 PM

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Mar 13 2023, 12:29 PM
Here it is... the full version laugh.gif

The bendings are improved, I think, but as I can see on the take, I use my fingers to much instead of the right technnique.

Also the last strum must be better. I only hit the high E string and missed the B string.

So I still have some work to do...

I will record just the end part again (only the bendings) and see if I can improve the technique.

Should be coming up in this theater soon biggrin.gif

--- a few moments later---

As promised... here's a take of the ending.

I think it's slightly better then on the full take of the lesson.

Here I did not miss the end strum part.

Await your judgement laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Gert1973: Mar 13 2023, 12:30 PM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Mar 13 2023, 03:58 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Mar 13 2023, 11:29 AM) *
Here it is... the full version laugh.gif

The bendings are improved, I think, but as I can see on the take, I use my fingers to much instead of the right technnique.

Also the last strum must be better. I only hit the high E string and missed the B string.

So I still have some work to do...

I will record just the end part again (only the bendings) and see if I can improve the technique.

Should be coming up in this theater soon biggrin.gif

--- a few moments later---

As promised... here's a take of the ending.

I think it's slightly better then on the full take of the lesson.

Here I did not miss the end strum part.

Await your judgement laugh.gif

Hi Gert!

Cool...now we have the whole lesson. biggrin.gif

I like the fact that you started to strike the strings very hard and this gives us a brighter and meaner tone. This is what I wanted to hear. smile.gif

Be very careful how you mute the strings with the left hand. Mostly in this spot (see in the tab) you tend to let the E lower string be heard and this is wrong.
Attached Image
In this particular place, if you can't handle muting the first string with your thumb, or with the tip of your index finger, try to do like Adrian and use your middle and ring finger to mute the string.

1:10 - let these notes ring longer and then move your hand to play the bend. At this moment, you cut the sound too early. You need to move your hand at the last moment. After you strike the notes count from 1 to 8 and then move your hand for the bend.

1:16 - first of all, you forgot to add the raking before going into the bend. Review my previous message because there I gave you a link with Kris' explanation about the raking.

The second problem (1:16) is the vibrato. You tried to do this but it has not worked yet.
The vibrato means changing the string pitch as you do for bending. You need to use the same motion as you use for the bends. The only difference is that vibrato requires constant motion without pauses.
So, the steps to make this bend with vibrato are:
1. Reach the correct pitch of the bend.
2. Release the bend with a semitone and then go back to the bend, reaching the desired pitch.
3. Do this bend release, bend release without pauses between, for 8-10 times or more (I advise you to count the number of pulsations made by Adrian to make this vibrato fit better with the track).

But, please practice the vibrato movement very slowly. Don't start doing this fast because it will not work. You need first to manage the correct movement of the hand before adding the speed.

1:21 - 1:32 - Here we have more issues:

1. You start with the correct pitch but then you end up the bends in the wrong pitch. The last bend is totally out of pitch on both takes.

2. You don't release the bends correctly. We need to hear that semitone down on all the bends. In your first take (whole lesson), this release is quite random and you have moments when your hand does not even go down in a good release. In the second take this look and sound better but still not correctly.
The movements should be perfectly equal. Otherwise it will not sound ok.

3. I know that Adrian wrote in the lesson "the last bends are random strokes". But...actually these "random strokes" require a kind of control. I don't know if you will understand my explanation, but your right hand plays too fast for what your left hand can do. This creates a weird sound in my ears and also shows hand synch issues.
Let me explain to you better. You played with your right hand in the same way as you would play at the full speed (original tempo from the lesson). But...your left hand plays as for 100 bpm.
If your right hand plays so fast at 100 bpm (in your first take sounds more like a tremolo picking), I doubt that you will be able to play much faster at full speed. tongue.gif
The second take sounds better from this point of view, but you still start too fast and then your hand seems to find a much more comfortable speed.

So, listen very carefully to how Adrian plays this part (video no 6). Slow down the track from the lesson and listen to how many times Adrian strokes the strings, then put it at a similar speed to your track and listen again. Try to notice the difference between your take and his take.

Because we need to fix the bending section, please, for next time, make a take at a very, very slow tempo only with the final part (how you want, with or without backing track).
We need to work on your bending, vibrato and that bend release with a semitone. wink.gif
Also, try the random strokes to not be so random anymore. biggrin.gif It will sound weird but...try to find an order in the mess. laugh.gif Give yourself some clues by putting yourself some questions: When you make the bend release, what your right hand do? A down movement or an up movement? How does it sound better? How many strokes and how many bend releases can I make in a bar?
All these details are the key to making this part sound good.

As a conclusion, I like how this lesson started sound. smile.gif Don't worry, time and practice will make you able to play the bending section.
Anyway, your second take sounded way better than the first one (even the vibrato). That's great! Keep working on it, you're improving. smile.gif

Have a great day!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Mar 15 2023, 04:29 PM
Hi Monica,

A quick video with the two bendings from the AC/DC lesson.

Are these good? Or there need to be some adjustments?

Btw... I looked at the video from Adrian and how he plays the last bends and specially his right hand sync with his left at 50% speed. But I can not see he plays an downstroke when he makes the bend and then an upstroke when he releases, or vice versa. I don't see any 'structure' in his movements.

I counted 8 bends in the first one and he does 16 bends in the end and then a vibrato (4 bends) before he hits the last note.

This post has been edited by Gert1973: Mar 15 2023, 04:30 PM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Mar 15 2023, 08:46 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Mar 15 2023, 03:29 PM) *
Hi Monica,

A quick video with the two bendings from the AC/DC lesson.

Are these good? Or there need to be some adjustments?

Btw... I looked at the video from Adrian and how he plays the last bends and specially his right hand sync with his left at 50% speed. But I can not see he plays an downstroke when he makes the bend and then an upstroke when he releases, or vice versa. I don't see any 'structure' in his movements.

I counted 8 bends in the first one and he does 16 bends in the end and then a vibrato (4 bends) before he hits the last note.

Hi Gert!

First of all, thank you for making this additional video. Now we can see very clearly your hands' movements. smile.gif

0:04 - 0:14 - nice bend pitch and vibrato motion. This is exactly how the vibrato should look. But...try not to make this vibrato too wide because you need to achieve the same type of vibrato as Adrian. Now, to make this work at a higher speed, practice this bend with vibrato by gradually increasing the tempo of the track.
In this way, you will fix the issues that can arise at higher speed.

0:15 - 0:24 - wrong pitch but the vibrato motion is quite ok. The movements should be a little more equal.

0:26 - 0:48 - this part doesn't sound good.
1. Most of the time you go too lower when you release the bend. You need to go down with a semitone like you did at 0:33; 0:36. If you release the bend with a tone, it will sound totally wrong. You can't play E and D notes together. tongue.gif

2. When you play the first bend, don't make the release immediately. You need to keep this bend longer and make 3-4 strokes with your right hand. Only after that can you start releasing the bend.

3. I know it's hard to spot a structure but it is there. Of course, not the one that you have played. biggrin.gif How you play it works only on the last bends (exactly before the final vibrato), which is actually what Adrian does in the end.
For the rest of the bends, he uses these movements:
- when you make the bend you need to do a downstroke and an upstroke when you start the release.
- when you are in the release of the bend you do a downstroke
- the next upstroke should go at the same time with the up movement to reach the bend pitch.
And things continue repeating the steps that I pointed out.

I slowed down a short piece from Adrian's video to help you see his hands' movements.

Let me know if things are clear and manageable for you. If not, we will find an easy pattern for you. Being noted in the lesson as a "random" strokes part, we can add some changes. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gert1973
May 1 2023, 11:41 AM
Hello Monica,

It has been a while now since my last recording on this lesson. But that does not mean, I have not been practising it dry.gif

I have been working on the last part and I don't know if it sounds much better now. I'm still trying to figger out the pattern biggrin.gif

My analysis:
23: Sometimes the high e-string rings when it shouldn't. It happens a few times in this take. I have to mute it better with my index.
31: this power chord was not muted and flows into the E minor chord
33: high E-string again
38:high E-string again
40: my timing is off here
1.16: No raking
1.21: low e-string fraction too late
1.23: I don't know about the last part cool.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
May 1 2023, 01:16 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ May 1 2023, 10:41 AM) *
Hello Monica,

It has been a while now since my last recording on this lesson. But that does not mean, I have not been practising it dry.gif

I have been working on the last part and I don't know if it sounds much better now. I'm still trying to figger out the pattern biggrin.gif

My analysis:
23: Sometimes the high e-string rings when it shouldn't. It happens a few times in this take. I have to mute it better with my index.
31: this power chord was not muted and flows into the E minor chord
33: high E-string again
38:high E-string again
40: my timing is off here
1.16: No raking
1.21: low e-string fraction too late
1.23: I don't know about the last part cool.gif

Hi Gert!

Don't worry, I know you practice all the lessons. wink.gif

Your analysis is correct. Besides the things that you pointed out, there are a few details that need more attention.

0:30; 0:40; 0:44 - in all these spots your timing is off. That's the main issue in your take.

1:12 - don't cut this chord earlier. When you hit it, count in your mind from 1 to 8 and then move your hand to play the bend. Visualize with your eyes where you need to play the next part and move your hand at the last moment.

1:19 - be very careful to keep the right pitch. You start in a good way, but when you end the bend, the pitch is higher than it should be.

1:21 - the last part - from the strumming point of view, it goes in the right direction. It doesn't matter if you do not play the pattern exactly like Adrian. Being specified in the lesson "random strokes", you can play this part slightly differently.
My purpose was to make you understand the pattern and stop you from adding too many strokes on the same note. You succeeded in fixing this issue. smile.gif
Now pay attention to two things:
1. At 1:21 - when you start the bends, don't make a pause after the first strike. The first bend is not longer than the other ones (I will talk about this at the end of the feedback).
2. Hit the strings with more confidence because we need to clearly hear both notes ringing together.

Overall, I like how this lesson started to sound. Take care of the details that we both pointed out and your playing on this will start to shine. smile.gif

EDIT: Gert, I want to explain you something about point number 1 (the spot from 1:21), because I just realized what you have misunderstood.

So, don't let the first bend ring too long. When I said last week keep this longer, I meant to let it ring just a little bit longer than in your previous takes. Also, your right hand should keep making the strikes because we don't want to have there a pause.
At the beginning (when you make the first bend), the pattern is quite different. You make the bend and, at the same time, you should make 3-4 strokes with your right hand. Then it starts the pattern that we talked about last weeks.
Look, overall all the bends should sound quite equal (only the right hand pattern changes). But you need, when you reach the bends, to keep the pitch just slightly longer than you do now (like Adrian does).
Hope now the things are more clear for you.

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: May 1 2023, 09:07 PM

+Quote Post
Gert1973
May 2 2023, 04:26 PM
Hello again biggrin.gif

Busy recording day today laugh.gif

I just played the last part of this lesson because this part has the main issues. And I want to know if I understand what you're trying to teach me wink.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
May 2 2023, 05:41 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ May 2 2023, 03:26 PM) *
Hello again biggrin.gif

Busy recording day today laugh.gif

I just played the last part of this lesson because this part has the main issues. And I want to know if I understand what you're trying to teach me wink.gif

Hi Gert!

Haha...you definitely were quite busy today laugh.gif

You partially fixed the issue. You already understood that when you make the bend, the right hand strikes the strings, which is a good thing. smile.gif

Now the problem comes from the fact that you let the first bend (0:14) ring too much and this changes the value of the note.

In your take, after you go into the first bend, your right hand does 8 strikes and then you make the release. This is wrong.

So, to fix the issue, follow these steps:
Go in bend and make only 3 strokes (down, up, down) with your right hand. On the 4th strike (when your right hand makes the up movement, release the bend and continue to play the rest of the bends.

Also, I don't hear the notes clearly ringing together, but don't worry, this detail needs a little more practice. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gert1973
May 9 2023, 03:44 PM
Hello Monica,

Here's my promised take for today on this AC/DC lesson.

I think the ending has improved. To my ears, the notes ring clear and it does not sound like chaos anymore biggrin.gif
But maybe I play it a little bit too fast?

And I still have problems switching from the last chord to the first bend with the raking. I'm not satified yet there. Need a little bit more practise. For me, it's difficult because the bend is on the second string and 3th string and not on the first and second. It needs more precise coordination then it would be on the first and second string.

And with the chords, I always here a noise I don't like. I thought it was the high E-string, but now I know it's not that. You can here it here:
19: G-chord
24: G-chord
28: G-chord and very noticable here
43: G-chord
Ok, it's always on the G-chord biggrin.gif
Is this normal? Or is there something I'm not doing good?

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
May 9 2023, 05:13 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ May 9 2023, 02:44 PM) *
Hello Monica,

Here's my promised take for today on this AC/DC lesson.

I think the ending has improved. To my ears, the notes ring clear and it does not sound like chaos anymore biggrin.gif
But maybe I play it a little bit too fast?

And I still have problems switching from the last chord to the first bend with the raking. I'm not satified yet there. Need a little bit more practise. For me, it's difficult because the bend is on the second string and 3th string and not on the first and second. It needs more precise coordination then it would be on the first and second string.

And with the chords, I always here a noise I don't like. I thought it was the high E-string, but now I know it's not that. You can here it here:
19: G-chord
24: G-chord
28: G-chord and very noticable here
43: G-chord
Ok, it's always on the G-chord biggrin.gif
Is this normal? Or is there something I'm not doing good?

Hi Gert!

Awesome to see such an improved take. The final part now goes in a very good direction and this makes me very happy. smile.gif Great work!!! smile.gif

Yes, for this particular tempo, the ending part is played a little too fast, but you know what, don't change anything. At the original speed of the lesson, you will not be able to play much faster and then it will fit perfectly.
At this moment, for me, it matters more the fact that you succeeded in managing this part correctly.

The notes ring clearly now. There are just 2-3 spots where the notes sound interrupted/blocked.

You still can't do the raking yet. To execute this, you need to also strike the first strings but with a muted sound (like you made that barre chords marked with "x"). When you make the down strike, block with your right hand the first 3 strings.

1:30 - on this long bend you need to add vibrato.

The problem with the G chord. The noise that you hear comes from the B string. tongue.gif
In your take, you put the ring finger on the E string, the pinky has no job to do and you let the B string ring.
In the lesson it's used a different shape for the G chord. So...you need to put the ring finger on the B string (3th fret) and the ring finger on the E string (3th fret). In this way, you will fix the issue.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with your today's take. For next time, try to fix the problems that I pointed out and also be more careful of the clearness of the chords. You have some unwanted string noises.
After you fix these details, we will raise the tempo a little bit. wink.gif

Have a great practice time!

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: May 9 2023, 07:13 PM

+Quote Post
Gert1973
May 16 2023, 04:34 PM
Hi Monica,

I worked on the G-chord so my pinky is not workless anymore laugh.gif

I also worked on the raking and there I still mess up. I can do it when I only have to do a raking. But in the track, I mostly screw it up when the part of the raking is there. I don't know if it's a really good one in this take (it took me 40 takes to get to this one biggrin.gif)

I definately still have to practise to get the raking part good and maybe also the ending. It's still good enough for me.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 05:00 PM